Earth Day 2019
Earth Day Light Microscopy Imaging Competition
Lumencor is committed to building innovative, high-quality light engines that facilitate rapid, sensitive, accurate analysis in a wide array of life-science applications. Our light sources replace mercury and xenon arc lamps with modern solid-state illumination technology effectively eliminating health, environmental, logistical, and economical challenges typically associated with the use and disposal of mercury bulbs. As the only truly mercury-free illumination manufacturer in the life sciences, Lumencor prides itself on the fact that we provide a brighter and greener solution for light microscopy to our customers and the planet. So, in celebration of Earth Day, Lumencor is holding an Earth Day Light Microscopy Imaging Competition!
The Lumencor Earth Day Light Microscopy Imaging Competition is open to anyone currently using Lumencor light engines for light microscopy applications. The subject matter of the photomicrograph is unrestricted and any type of light microscopy technique is acceptable. However, the light source used to take the photomicrograph MUST be a Lumencor light engine.
Submit by July 29th, 2019
Deadline for entries is July 29th, 2019
1st Prize – NEW! SOLA SE U-nIR with liquid light guide and control pod, a $10,000 value
2nd Prize – $1,000 off voucher (any light engine directly purchased from Lumencor)
3rd Prize – $500 off voucher (any light engine directly purchased from Lumencor)
Enter The Competition!
Earth Day Light Microscopy Imaging Competition — RULES
Deadline for entries is July 29th, 2019
- Anyone over the age of 18 is eligible, with the exception of employees of Lumencor, their families, the contest judges, and individuals engaged in the manufacture or sale of microscopes, related accessories or photographic equipment.
- Photomicrographs must be taken using a Lumencor light engine. All types of light or fluorescence microscopy and specimens are acceptable. Electron and any other microscopes that do not capture images using light contrast are not permitted.
- Macro Photography is not permitted.
- Images must be submitted as follows:
- Upload to the Lumencor 2019 Earth Day Microscopy Imaging Competition entry area here. Maximum file size is 100MB, and it is recommended the file size be no smaller than 3MB although smaller file sizes will not be disqualified. Files must be in jpg, jpeg, gif, png, pdf, tif, tiff, or psd format. (Please submit the highest quality image with regard to file size, bit depth, and resolution.)
- Naming convention: Lastname_Firstname_affiliation_img#
- For each image submitted, only one entry form MUST be filled out, here. The file name on the uploaded image must be marked on the entry form. Incomplete entry forms may result in disqualification.
- Each entrant may submit up to three images in the contest for judging. No more than one prize per entrant will be awarded.
- Entries will be judged on:
B. Informational Content
C. Technical Proficiency
D. Artistic and Visual Impact
- Entries must be received no later than July 29th, 2019.
- Please send correspondence to Lumencor Microscopy Imaging Competition, Lumencor, 14940 NW Greenbrier Parkway, Beaverton, OR 97006 USA or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Prizewinners will be notified by September 1st, 2019.
- The judging panel for Lumencor’s Microscopy Imaging Contest is selected solely by Lumencor. The decision of Lumencor’s panel of judges is final.
- All files will be retained by Lumencor, and will not be returned.
- By submitting an entry to this competition, you agree that:
A. If your entry is selected by Lumencor as a winning image, you give Lumencor non-exclusive irrevocable, worldwide rights to use your name, likeness and the winning image as Lumencor sees fit.
B. You certify and warrant that you hold the rights to grant such permission and agree to hold Lumencor harmless in any disputes that arise out of image ownership/rights.
C. Image copyright remains the property of the artist/photographer even though permission to use imagery is given to Lumencor.
- Should submitted images have more than one individual to be credited, the names must be provided on the entry form. Individual entering the competition also warrants that they have the right to enter the image on the other parties behalf and holds Lumencor harmless in any disputes that arise thereof.
- Lumencor will not substantially modify submitted digital file content without prior approval and permission of the author(s).
- Void where prohibited or otherwise restricted by local laws.
- Taxes, if any, on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prizewinner.
- This contest falls under any rules and regulations for such contests by the laws of the United States, including Copyright laws.
- Failure to comply with and accept all of the preceding rules will disqualify any entry and Lumencor reserves the right to disqualify any entrant for any reason at Lumecor’s sole discretion.
- Lumencor reserves the right to change or modify the rules at any time without notice.